« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »
124. The original Prayer-Book retained a trace of the rite of Extreme Unction?
125. When did the identification of Regeneration and Conversion first come into use in England?
126. Show that in Scripture and in the Articles Regeneration is exclusively connected with Baptism.
127. Tertullian and Cyprian speak of Regeneration being bestowed by two Sacraments; how is this to be explained?
128. What theory of Infant Baptism was the twenty-ninth Canon designed to oppose?
129. The denial of the doctrine of Baptismal Regeneration by so many of the Reformers may probably be traced to the Scholastic theory upon the subject?
130. What threefold distinction was expressed in ancient times by baptismus fluminis, flaminis, sanguinis?
131. In the passage (Public Baptism of Infants), "Who of Thy great mercy didst save Noah and his family in the ark from perishing by water," there is an ambiguity which did not exist in the original PrayerBook?
132. The declaration, at the end of the Office, respecting the salvation of baptized children dying before they commit actual sin, is taken from an earlier document, with one remarkable omission?
133. It has been concluded from one of the Rubrics that the Church of England does not consider the Minister to be essential to Baptism? This inference is not warranted?
134. What are the Rubrical directions in the case of the Baptism of an Adult?
135. These directions are in accordance with the provisions of an early Council?
136. Enumerate the various successive appellations which have been given to the Eucharist from the earliest times? Which does our Church adopt?
137. What reason may be assigned for the departure from the usual Rubrical direction in the case of the Lord's Prayer at the commencement of the Communion Office?
138. The General Confession in the Communion Office, whence derived?
139. It well illustrates the principle on which our Reformers borrowed from foreign sources?
140. Both the Confession and Absolution in the Communion Office occur again in the Prayer-Book?
141. Arrange the three Exhortations (in the Communion Office) in their original order.
142. The second of them (in our present Prayer-Book) originally contained a clause pointed against an irregular practice, recently revived in England?
143. When the title of the Prayer for "The whole state of Christ'>
Church" was first enlarged, a corresponding change was made in the body of the Prayer?
144. With what words does the Canon of the Mass commence ?
145. Where in our Communion Office are these words very nearly reproduced?
146. Where did the Canon commence in our original Prayer-Book, and where does it now commence ?
147. What is the Common or Daily Preface (præfatio quotidiana)?
148. In our version of this Preface there is a slight deviation from the punctuation of the original?
149. Of our Proper Prefaces, which are ancient, and which modern ?
150. Mr. Palmer corrects a common error in the mode of repeating the Tersanctus?
151. Distinguish between the Tersanctus and Trisagion?
152. In the Tikλnois, the Prayer-Book of 1549 more nearly resembled the ancient form than our existing Prayer-Book does?
153. Only two known ancient Liturgies agree with ours in not having the Lord's Prayer in the Canon?
154. Who first introduced the Lord's Prayer into the Roman Canon, and on what ground?
155. What was the anthem anciently called "Communio," and when was it abolished?
156. The words of Delivery in our Office exhibit in combination three forms perfectly distinct in their origin?
157. What is the earliest known form of Delivery?
158. The Church of England changed its practice in reference to ἐγχείρησις and μετάδοσις, and why?
159. Between the primitive custom of all the congregation communicating and the Romish practice of no lay communion a transition step intervened?
160. When did the practice commence of administering the Elements to the communicants collectively?
161. Another corresponding change was introduced at the same time? 162. What was the Greek title of the Gloria in Excelsis?
163. The copy of it in Codex A. differs in one respect from the version in our Liturgy?
164. The reservation and adoration of the Elements, virtually condemned in the Twenty-eighth Article, are carefully guarded against in the Prayer-Book?
165. In our Communion Office the Sacrifice of the Mass is plainly pointed at and rejected?
166. The Romish practice of solitary Masses is also carefully guarded against?
167. What were the usual Greek and Latin appellations, respectively, of Sermons?
168. Why is there no Rubrical direction for a Sermon at Evening Prayer?
169. Who first introduced extempore preaching in the Church?
170. When did the practice of substituting a Collect for the Bidding Prayer commence ?
171. The word "oblation" occurs twice in the Communion Office, in different senses?
172. There was a singular inconsistency, on the part of the Bishops at the Savoy Conference, in refusing to change the expression (in the Burial Service), "in sure and certain hope of the resurrection to eternal life"?
173. The time of Easter is a function of the Luni-Solar year? By what relation are the Solar and Lunar year connected?
174. In what respect did the Act 24 Geo. II. c. 28, correct the Rule given in the Prayer-Book for the determination of Easter?
175. The Gregorian Rule (given in the Breviary) is more correct than ours?
176. Earliest and latest days on which Easter can fall? Which occurs the more rarely?
177. A concise general formula expresses the intervals which intervene between the occurrence of Easter at those extreme limits?
178. Maximum and minimum number of Sundays after Trinity? 179. The former case is in part unprovided for by our Calendar? 180. Compare the Julian and Gregorian Calendars; and explain the secular correction adopted in the latter.
181. Explain exactly the Dominical Letter and the Golden Number. 182. Show that in the Julian Calendar the cycle of the Dominical Letter is 28 years; and in the Gregorian, 400 years.
183. Prove the Rule given in the Calendar for finding the Dominical Letter for any year in the present century.
184. Prove the general Rule given in the Calendar for finding the Dominical Letter for any given year of our Lord.
185. The year of the Gregorian correction of the Calendar had two Sunday Letters; that of the New Style in England had three; explain this.
186. State the Rule for finding the Golden Number for any year; and explain the reason of it.
187. This present year (1864), Good Friday fell on the Festival of the Annunciation; what must be the Sunday letter in order that this should occur?
188. Another remarkable coincidence took place on the third Sunday in Lent this year between the Epistle and Gospel and the Second Lessons? 189. Show that when this occurs the Sunday Letter must be C or CB. 190. When did this coincidence last occur, and when will it next take place?
191. In this case the maximum number of Collects for the Day are read; how many?
EXAMINATION FOR THE DEGREE OF BACHELOR OF
1. Give the definition of Jurisprudence, which you find in the Institutes of Justinian.
2. Define sui hæredes.
3. Where a parent in a Roman will substitutes an heir for an impubes, he may be giving such heir more than he has given by his will to the impubes for whom he has been substituted. How is this?
4. By the Roman Law, when the posthumous children of a Roman testator are spoken of, what is the meaning of the phrase?
5. Half his property is given by a Roman testator to Decius, who is the only heir named in the testament. What becomes of the residue ? 6. Inconvenience was found in the number of witnesses to a Roman will where the Canon Law prevailed this was got rid of. Say in what
7. Within the two first centuries of the Christian era new corporate bodies, with laws of their own, had grown up in the Empire. What were they?
8. Trial by jury is said to be secured by the words of the Great Charter. State the words which are understood to have secured it.
9. In the changes which the system of the trial by jury has undergone one principle has remained unchanged. What is this principle?
10. State the date of the Petition of Right?
11. When were Military Tenures abolished in England ?
12. When was the Habeas Corpus Act passed?
13. In changing the Republic to a Monarchy the title of Princeps Senatus was of singular service to the Emperor. How was this?
14. When Christianity became the religion of the Empire, a new offence was introduced into the criminal jurisprudence of the Empire. What was it?
15. Give Justinian's definition of Liberty.
16. On the subject of the Comitas gentium, three axioms are laid down by Huberus which he regards as sufficient to solve all the intricacies of the subject. State them?
17. Give Cicero's definition of war (bellum). 18. State Grotius' objection to that definition. 19. Give Grotius' definition of war.
20. What is Grotius' definition of Civile Jus ?