Изображения страниц

General C. P. Stone commanded the Federal | ed about four o'clock P. M., while gallantly leadforces until three o'clock a. M., on the morning ing his regiment under a tremendous fire. ** of the 22d, when he was superseded by Major- His loss is truly severe to his regiment and to General N. P. Banks.

our common cause.

The engagement on our side was fought entirely with the musket; the artillery was in position to do effective service should the enemy have advanced from his cover.

The enemy were armed with the Minié musket, the Belgian gun, and Springfield musket; a telescopic target rifle was also among the arms found.

In closing my report I would call the attention of the General commanding to the heroism and gallantry displayed by the officers and men of the Seventh Brigade, in the action of the 21st and 22d of October. The promptness with which every commander obeyed and the spirit with which their men executed my orders to attack the enemy in much superior force, and in a position where he had great advantages, entitle them to the thanks of the Southern Confederacy. Without food or rest for more than twelve hours previous to the commencement of the battle, they drove an enemy four times their number from the soil of Virginia, killing and taking prisoners a greater number than our whole force engaged. To witness the patience, enthusiasm, and devotion of the troops to our cause, during an action of thirteen hours, excited my warmest admiration.

As my entire brigade exceeded my most sanguine expectations in their intrepidity and endurance, I am unable to individualize any particular command, as the tenacity with which each regiment held their positions was equalled only by their undaunted courage and firm determination to conquer.

Doc. 48.


ELK WATER, Sept. 17, 186
To Geo. L. Hartsuff, Assistant Adjutant-Gen-
eral Department Ohio:

SIR: The operations of this brigade for the past few days may be summed up as follows: On the 12th inst. the enemy, nine thousand strong, with eight to twelve pieces of artillery, under command of Gen. R. E. Lee, advanced on this position by the Huntersville Pike. Our advanced pickets-portions of the Fifteenth Indiana and Sixth Ohio--gradually fell back to our main picket station; two companies of the Seventeenth Indiana, under Col. Hascall, checking the enemy's advance at the Point Mountain Turnpike, and then falling back on the regiment which occupied a very advanced position on our right front, and which was now ordered in. The enemy threw into the woods on our left front three regiments, who made their way to the right and rear of Cheat Mountain, took a position on the road leading to Huttonville, broke the telegraph wire, and cut off our comI am pained to report the fall of the gallant munication with Col. Kimball's Fourteenth InColonel E. R. Burt, of the Eighteenth regiment diana Cavalry on Cheat Summit. SimultaneMississippi Volunteers. He was mortally wound-ously another force of the enemy, of about equal

To my general staff I am much indebted. Major John D. Rogers, brigade quartermaster, was directed to conduct the baggage train beyond Goose Creek, which difficult duty was performed in the night with great regularity. Captain Orr, brigade commissary, was actively engaged in securing commissary stores, and in providing cooked rations for the brigade. To my acting aide-de-camp, Lieutenant Charles B. Wildman, of the Seventeenth regiment Virginia Volunteers, and my volunteer aid, Mr. Wm. H. Rogers, I am particularly indebted for services on the field of battle. Lieut. Wildman conducted the Eighteenth regiment and Mr. Rogers the Seventeenth regiment of Mississippi Volunteers to their respective positions in the action, and both repeatedly bore orders under heavy fire.

Captain A. L. Evans, Assistant AdjutantGeneral, though detained by other duty till two o'clock P. M., rendered valuable services.

The prisoners taken were sent to Manassas under charge of Captain O. R. Singleton, of the Eighteenth regiment Mississippi Volunteers, with his company, and Captain W. A. R. Jones, of the Seventeenth regiment Mississippi Volunteers, and a detachment of cavalry, the whole under the command of Captain Singleton, who conducted 529 prisoners nearly twenty-five miles, after the great fatigue of the battle.

Accompanying this report I enclose an accurate map of the field of battle, and the reports of the immediate commanders. To the latter I would respectfully refer for individual acts of gallantry and patriotism.

I also forward the reports of the field-officer of the day, Lieutenant-Colonel McGuirk, of the Seventeenth regiment Mississippi Volunteers, to whom I am much indebted for information of the flank movements of the enemy.

Lieutenant Sheffield Duval, here on duty as topographical engineer, and Sergeant Wm. R. Chambliss, of the Eighteenth regiment Mississippi Volunteers, my private secretary, rendered material service-the former by fighting on foot with his musket as a private, the latter by conveying my orders on the field of battle under heavy fire. N. G. EVANS, Brigadier-General, Commanding Seventh Brigade. To Lieutenant-Colonel THOMAS JORDAN, Assistant Adjutant-General, First Corps Army of Potomac, near Centreville."

The medical staff, both brigade and regimental, were all actively engaged during the day in removing the dead and wounded, and in patriotically administering relief to the dying on the field.

dark, when we learned the result of the movement on the mountain, as above stated, and the enemy retired somewhat for the night.

On the 14th, early, the enemy was again in position in front of Elk Water, and a few rounds, supported by a company of the Fifteenth Indiana, were again administered, which caused him to withdraw as before. The forces that had been before repulsed from Cheat returned, and were again driven back by a comparatively small force from the mountain. The Seventeenth Indiana was ordered up the path to open communication, and make way for another supply train; but, as before, found the little band from the summit had already done the work. During the afternoon of the 14th the enemy withdrew from before Elk Water, and is now principally concentrated some ten miles from this post, at or near his main camp. On the 15th he appeared in stronger force than at any previous time, in front of Cheat, and attempted a flank movement by the left, but was driven back by the ever-vigilant and gallant garrison The enemy, about five thousand strong, was of the field redoubt on the summit. To-day the closed in on Cheat Summit, and became engag- enemy has also retired from the front of Cheat, ed with detachments of the Fourteenth Indiana, but to what precise position I am not yet inTwenty-fourth and Twenty-fifth Ohio, from the formed. The results of these affairs are, that summit, in all only about three hundred, who, we have killed near one hundred of the encuny, deployed in the wood, held in check and killed including Colonel John A. Washington, aide-demany of the enemy, who did not at any time camp to General Lee, and have taken about succeed in getting sufficiently near the field re-twenty prisoners. We have lost nine killed, indoubt to give Dunn's battery an opportunity of cluding Lieut. Junod, Fourteenth Indiana, two firing into him. So matters rested at dark on missing, and about sixty prisoners, including the 12th, with heavy forces in front, and in plain Captain James Bense and Lieutenants Gillman sight of both posts' communication cut off, and and Shaffer of the Sixth Ohio, and Lieut. Merthe supply train for the mountain, loaded with rill of the Engineers. I append the reports of provisions which were needed, waiting for an Col. Kimball, Fourteenth Indiana; Capt. Higopportunity to pass up the road. Determined gins, Twenty-fourth Ohio, and Lieut.-Col. Owen to force a communication with Cheat, I ordered and Col. Wagner, of the Fifteenth Indiana. the Thirteenth Indiana, under Col. Sullivan, to J. J. REYNOLDS, cut their way, if necessary, by the mail road, Brig.-General Commanding First Brigade. and the greater part of the Third Ohio and GEO. S. ROSE, Asst. Adjt.-General. Second Virginia, under Cols. Manon and Moss respectively, to do the same by the path; the two commands starting at three o'clock A. M., CAMP CHEAT MOUNTAIN SUMMIT, W. V., on the 13th-the former from Cheat Mountain September 14, 1861. Pass, and the latter from Elk Water, so as to Brig.-Gen. J. J. Reynolds Commanding: fall upon the enemy, if possible, simultaneously. GENERAL: On the morning of September 12th, Early on the 13th, the small force of about three I started my train (teams from the Twenty-fourth hundred from the summit engaged the enemy, Ohio regiment) to your camp; when about threeand with such effect, that notwithstanding his fourths of a mile out, they were attacked by a greatly superior numbers, he retired in great party of the enemy. Information being at once haste and disorder, leaving large quantities of brought to me, I proceeded to the point of attack, clothing and equipments on the ground; and accompanied by Col. Jones of the Twenty-fifth our relieving forces, failing to catch the enemy, Ohio, and Lieut.-Col. Gilbert of the Twentymarched to the summit, securing the provision fourth Ohio, and Companies C (Capt. Brooks) train, and re-opening our communication. While and F (Capt. Williamson) of the Fourteenth this was taking place on the mountain, and as Indiana. I at first supposed the attack was yet unknown to us, the enemy, under Lee, ad- made by a scouting party of the enemy, and vanced on Elk Water, apparently for a general sent Capts. Brooks and Williamson into the attack. One ritled ten-pound Parrott gun, from woods deployed as skirmishers. They soon Loomis' battery, was run to the front three-overhauled the enemy, numbering twenty-five fourths of a mile, and delivered a few shots at hundred. My captains immediately opened fire, the enemy, doing fine execution, causing him to and informed me the enemy were there in great withdraw out of convenient range. Our rela- force. I ordered them to hold their position; tive positions remained unchanged until near they did so, and soon had the pleasure of seeing



strength, advanced by the Staunton Pike on the front of Cheat Mountain, and threw two regiments to the right and rear of Cheat Mountain, which united with the three regiments from the other column of the enemy. (The two posts, Cheat Summit and Elk Water, are seven miles apart by a bridle path over the mountains, and eighteen miles by the wagon road, via Huttonville, "Cheat Mountain Pass," the former headquarters of the brigade, being at the foot of the mountain, ten miles from the summit.) The enemy advancing toward the pass, by which he might possibly have obtained the rear or left of Elk Water, was met there by three companies of the Thirteenth Indiana, ordered up for that purpose, and by one company of the Fourteenth Indiana from the summit. These four companies engaged and gallantly held in check greatly superior numbers of the enemy, foiled him in his attempt to obtain the rear or left of Elk Water, and threw him into the rear and right of Cheat Mountain, the companies retiring to the pass at the foot of the mountains.

the whole force of the enemy take to their heels, throwing aside guns, clothing, and every thing that impeded their progress. In the mean time I had detailed a guard of ninety men, to be sent forward to relieve Capt. Coons, of the Fourteenth Indiana, who had been stationed as a picket on the path between Elk Water Camp and my own. This detail was from the Fourteenth Indiana, Twenty-fourth and Twenty-fifth Ohio, under Capt. Higgins, Lieuts. Green and Wood. They had proceeded about two miles from the point of first attack, when they met the Tennessee Brigade, gave them battle, and drove them back. Capt. Coons of the Fourteenth Indiana had met this same force earlier in the morning and undertook to resist them, and did so until driven back. He then came in their rear whilst they were engaged with the command under Capt. Higgins, Company C, Twenty-fourth Ohio, Lieut. Green of the Fourteenth Indiana, and Lieut. Wood of the Twenty-fifth Ohio.

At this juncture, I was informed that the enemy were moving in my front above the hill east of my camp, where we have usually had a picket station, which point was occupied by Lieut. Junod, Company E, Fourteenth Indiana. The enemy surrounded Junod's command consisting of thirty-five men, with a force five hundred strong, and killed Lieut. Junod and one private; the others have all come into camp.

I soon found that Capts. Brooks and Williamson were driving the enemy to my right flank. I then despatched two companies one_from the Fourteenth Indiana, Co. A, Capt. Foote, and one from the Twenty-fourth Ohio, Capt.

-, up Cheat River, to cut off the enemy's retreat. My captains met the enemy two miles above the bridge, scattering them and killing several; captured two prisoners, and retaking one of the wagoners taken early in the morning. The enemy's force on my right flank consisted of the Twenty-fifth Virginia, Col. Heck, Twenty-third, Thirty-first and Thirty-seventh, and also one battalion of Virginians under command of Col. Taliafero. The force which met Capt. Higgins and Lieuts. Green and Wood, consisted of the First Tennessee, Col. George Manny; the Seventh Tennessee, Col. R. Hadden, the Fourteenth Tennessee, Col. Forbes, mustering in all three thousand, commanded by Gen. Anderson.

The aggregate of the enemy's force was near fifty-five hundred; ours, which engaged and repulsed them, was less than three hundred.

We killed near one hundred of the enemy, and wounded a greater number, and have thirteen prisoners.

We recaptured all our teamsters and others whom the enemy had captured in the morning. We have lost a few noble fellows, killed, among whom is Lieut. Junod, Co. E, Fourteenth Indiana, I append a list of killed, wounded, and missing of my command.

General, I think my men have done wonders, and ask God to bless them.

[blocks in formation]

September 17, 1861.

CAMP CHEAT MOUNTAIN,UMMIT, } Col. N. Kimball, Commanding Post: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of my command at the skirmishes which occurred four miles from Camp on the 12th instant:

My command was composed of ninety men, detailed thirty each from the Twenty-fourth and Twenty-fifth Ohio Infantry and the Fourteenth Indiana, accompanied by Lieutenant John T. Wood, Company H, Twenty-fifth Ohio, and Lieutenant M. Green, Company B, Fourteenth Indiana. I was ordered to proceed with haste to the relief of Captain Coon, of the Fourteenth Indiana, who, on the morning of 11th instant, had been ordered to guard a pass, five miles northwest from Camp, leading from the main road to Elk River. Half a mile from Camp I found three wagons, whose horses and drivers had that morning been taken by rebels, who during the night had lain in large force near the Camp. Hastening on we were met by a cavalry soldier, leading a wounded horse, who stated that the enemy had collected at the entrance of the pass, had shot his horse, and that Captain Coon and party were doubtless cut off; sending a squad of men into the woods on both sides of the road, I proceeded cautiously within sight of the spot where the horse had been shot, when I sent Lieutenant Green with his men to

deploy on the left of the road, and Lieutenant Wood with his men on the right, holding the detail of the Twenty-fourth on the right, near the road, in line, with the others as reserve to check any advance of the enemy on the road, ordering the whole line to move cautiously, covering themselves by trees. The right had proceeded about three rods in this manner, when it was saluted by a volley of at least one hundred guns, with no loss on our side. We returned the volley, and immediately advanced upon the ambush, receiving and returning a second volley. The rebels fled up from the right to the road, where Lieutenant Green came in sight of them and poured in a destructive fire. At this moment we saw a large body of men in utter confusion, pressing back upon what seemed a larger force in line of battle, in spite of all efforts of officers to rally them. Lieutenant Green, seeing so large a force, fell back upon the reserve, bringing in two wounded men-private Leonard Daum, wounded in the arm, and private John Killgannon, both of Company B, Fourteenth Indiana. I directed the line to be deployed again, but to make no advance, determining to hold the position until the arrival of reinforcements. After waiting half an hour, Maj. Harron of the Fourteenth Indiana came up with two companies. He immediately sent forward a squad of men to reconnoitre; these returned bringing in two prisoners, who reported the force in our front to be General Anderson's brigade of Tennesseeans, numbering three thousand; that we had fallen upon the left wing of his line, and that his was one of three columns of rebel infantry, which during the night had collected at three points to attack the camp.

DAVID J. HIGGINS, Capt. Co. C, Twenty-fourth Ohio Infantry, Commanding Scout. GEO. S. ROSE, Assistant Adj.-Gen.


Learning these facts, Major Harron ordered me to draw in my men and post them as advance guard two miles nearer Camp. This I did and held the place unmolested until morning, when I was relieved. From the most reliable information I can get, the rebels have lost in that engagement at least fifty killed, besides many wounded.

The actual skirmishing lasted about thirty minutes, but the whole time we held the ground was one hour.

I wish to call the attention of the Colonel commanding this post to the general bravery and coolness of all the men under my command during the engagement. Particularly, I wish to notice the gallant conduct of Lieut. M. Green of Company B, Fourteenth Indiana, and Lieutenant John T. Wood of Company H, Twenty-fifth Ohio, whose steady coolness and daring example had great force in keeping the deployed line unbroken, and in causing so destructive a fire to be poured upon the enemy. I have the honor to be, Colonel, very respect-field rifle. fully, your obedient servant,

Col. G. D. Wagner, Commanding Fifteenth Regiment Indiana Volunteers: SIR: In accordance with your order "to proceed on the Manlia Turnpike until I met the enemy, but not to bring on a general engagement," I marched my command of two hundred and eighty-five infantry and four dragoons, (the latter designed to be used as messengers,) on Sunday, the 8th September, at noon, out of camp, under the guidance of Dr. Singer, a Union Virginian, who, having formerly practised in this and adjoining counties, was thoroughly acquainted with all the localities.

The infantry consisted of portions of Company B, Captain Wing, Third Ohio; Company A, Captain Rice; Company C, Captain Comparet; Company E, Captain Lamb; Company K, Captain McCutcheon; and Company H, under Lieutenant Werner, all of the Fifteenth Indiana Volunteers. Lieutenant Driscoll of the Third Ohio Volunteers, volunteered to lead a scouting party, consisting of ten Indiana and ten Ohio riflemen. Lieutenant Bedford, acting Captain of our scouts, volunteered to accompany the expedition. The cavalry was taken from Captain Bracken's Indiana company. Slept the first night on our arms, with half the command awake at a time, with no fires and perfectly silent. After picketing wherever the cross roads pointed out by Dr. Dyer seemed to demand it, we proceeded at four o'clock P. M., on the 9th instant, toward the Confederate camp at Marshall's store, carefully scouring the laurel bushes. Immediately after the main body, with Captain Wing, in the advance guard, emerged from a dense thicket which lined each side of the road. Our scouts commenced firing, having come so close to the enemy, and so suddenly, that a hand-to-hand scuffle ensued between private Edwards of the Fifteenth Indiana, and a Carolina secessionist, while another Fifteenth Indiana scout, Private J. F. Morris, surprised four dragoons at their breakfast, in a house, which proved to be on the farm of Henry Thomas, about three-fourths of a mile north of their camp.

In accordance with instructions previously given to my command, I ordered them to fire by sections, and countermarched to re-form and load in the rear. This was carried out in good order, and with such execution that, as prisoners afterward taken by Colonel Sullivan of the Thirteenth Indiana informed him, we killed fifteen, and wounded about as many more. An officer, who proved to be Major Murray of the Virginia troop, was shot, it is believed, by Lieutenant Bedford, with an En

Knowing that, although there were but three full companies in sight, the enemy was in strong force at a short distance, I considered it prudent, in accordance with your instructions, to retire the command, after all firing on

the part of the enemy had ceased, forming for some time as before, faced to the front, but afterward marching in common time, to our camp, eleven miles and a quarter, delaying on the rout long enough to dress the wounds of one of our men-private Frank Cooner of Company G. Third Ohio, who was wounded in two places, besides receiving a ball through his haversack; but is now doing well.

The force represented by the prisoners in camp near Marshall's store, amounts to eight thousand men; they also report that two pieces of artillery and two regiments of infantry were ordered out in pursuit, doubtless the same-a portion of which, next day, attacked the two companies of your regiment occupying the outposts on that road, viz.: Company D, Capt. Templeton, and Company F, under Lieut. Dean, who so successfully sustained themselves.

The above brief report of our skirmish is submitted with the hope that we carried out your instructions, in the manner you designed. Very respectfully, your obedient servant, RICHARD OWEN Lieut.-Col. Fifteenth Indiana Volunteers. GEO. S. ROSE, Assistant Adjutant-General.

hit by four balls. Both will recover, but
Richards has had his leg amputated. Private
Hovey is slightly wounded; all of Co. D of my
regiment. At this time you arrived on the
ground and took command. Let me say that
officers and men all did their duty, and I must
be allowed to commend to your notice Ser-
geant Thompson of Co. D, who had command
of the first party engaged, as well as the men
with him, who stood and fought until half of
the party were shot down before they would
fall back. I have the honor to be your most
obedient servant,
Col. G. D. WAGNER.
GEO. S. ROSE, Ass't Adj't-General.

The wounded are Corporal Clark and private Richards-both seriously, Clark having been

LETTER FROM AN INDIANA VOLUNTEER. CAMP CHEAT MOUNTAIN SUMMIT, Sept. 13, 4 o'clock P. M. Within the last thirty-six hours we have had stirring times on Cheat Mountain. But the Star-Spangled Banner still waves, and, indeed,

is more honored than ever before.


Head-quarters FifteentH REGIMENT IND, TOLS, September 12, 1861. Brigadier-General J. J. Reynolds :

DEAR SIR: On the 9th of the present month, I ordered Capt. Templeton to take companies D and F, and take possession of and hold the Point Mountain Pike, at its junction with the Huntersville Pike, supported by Major Christopher of the Sixth regiment Ohio, with one hundred men at Conrad's Mills, two miles in the rear. The first position was about eight miles in advance of my camp, and four miles from the enemy's encampment.

At half-past eight o'clock, on yesterday morning, (the 12th,) one of Bracken's cavalry, who had been sent to the foot of the mountain, returned, stating that he had found three of our wagons, which had started a short time before him, on the road some mile and a half distant, without drivers or horses; there also being found blood and other marks of violence. Immediately Col. Kimball detailed detachments of companies B, C, and F, of the Fourteenth Indiana regiment, under Capts. Brooks and Williamson, and Lieutenant Greene, to search out and punish the depredators. They had been gone but a few minutes when scattering shots were heard within three-quarters of a mile of our camp. These were followed by a succession of sharp volleys. The ball had opened. They had found and assailed three thousand rebels, (not knowing their number at the time,) who had crept round the On the morning of the 11th, Capt. Temple- mountain and bivouacked the night before, near ton's pickets were attacked by the enemy's the road in our rear, within a few rods of our column advancing down the road; they fell back pickets. But notwithstanding their numbers, on the main force-the enemy still advancing they fled, scattering over the mountain in great in force. Capt. Templeton despatched a dra- confusion, and apparently completely demoralgoon for reinforcements. I immediately sent ized, leaving behind them their blankets, clothes, the left wing of the Fifteenth Indiana, under haversacks, and many guns. These volleys were command of Major Wood, with orders to hold the signal for the "beat to arms." Then you the position; but soon after, a scout, who had should have seen the Hoosier and Buckeye boys been posted three miles east of Capt. Temple- fly to arms. The prolonged monotony and irkton, with instructions to report to me any some inactivity were broken. An opportunity movement of the enemy on the left flank, came was about to be given for them to uphold the on and reported a column of two thousand Stars and Stripes, and with them constitutional troops marching in this direction, with the evi-liberty-to do honor to their respective States, dent intention of cutting off Capt. Templeton their friends and themselves, and with a delight and Major Christopher. I immediately sent and a zest far beyond even that of guests going orders for the entire force to fall back on the to a wedding feast, they all flew to their places main force, which they did in good order, bring and prepared for the expected action. ing off their wounded-having two men killed, one taken prisoner, and three wounded. Privates Kent and Butler killed, of Company F, Capt. White; F. Spooner of the same company was taken prisoner.

Under the efficient direction of Col. Kimball, who commands this post, (he being just returned from escorting the attacking companies to the scene of action, saying, with a smile and an air of almost supreme delight, "Our boys are peppering them good out there,") aided by Lieut.Col. Mahan and Major Harrow, Col. Ammen,

« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »