Изображения страниц

with the provisions captured, about five days' rations for the use of the troops.

On consultation with Flag-officer Stringham and Cominander Stellwagen, I determined to leave the troops and hold the fort, because of the strength of the fortifications and its importance, and because, if again in the possession of the enemy, with a sufficient armament, the very great difficulty of its capture, until I could get some further instructions from the Govern

of the wounded, which was conducted with
great care and tenderness from a temporary
wharf, erected for the purpose, took so long
that night came on, and so dark that it was im-
possible for the pilots to take the Adelaide over
the bar, thereby causing delay. I may men-
tion in this connection that the Adelaide, in car-
rying in the troops, at the moment that my
terms of capitulation were under consideration
by the enemy, had grounded upon the bar, but
by the active and judicious exertions of Com-ment.
mander Stellwagen, after some delay was got
off. At the same time, the Harriet Lane, in
attempting to enter the bar, had grounded, and
remained fast; both were under the guns of
the fort. This, to me, was a moment of the
greatest anxiety. By these accidents, a valu-
able ship of war and a transport steamer, with
a large portion of my troops, were within the
power of the enemy. I had demanded the
strongest terms, which he was considering.
He might refuse, and seeing our disadvantage,
renew the action. But I determined to abate
not a tittle of what I believed to be due to
the dignity of the Government; not even to
give an official title to the officer in command
of the rebels. Besides, my tug was in the in-
let, and at least I could carry on the engage-
ment with my two rifled six-pounders, well
supplied with Sawyer's shell.

Upon taking possession of Fort Hatteras, I found that it mounted ten guns, with four yet unmounted and one large ten-inch columbiad, all ready for mounting. I append the official muster roll of Col. Martin, furnished by him, of the officers and men captured by us.

Commodore Stringham directed the steamers Monticello and Pawnee to remain inside, and these, with the men in the forts, are sufficient to hold the position against any force which is likely, or indeed possible, to be sent against it. The importance of the point cannot be overrated. When the channel is buoyed out, any vessel may carry fifteen feet water over it with ease. Once inside, there is a safe harbor and anchorage in all weathers. From there the whole coast of Virginia and North Carolina, from Norfolk to Cape Lookout, is within our reach, by light draft vessels, which cannot possibly live at sea during the winter months. From it offensive operations may be made upon the whole coast of North Carolina to Bogue Inlet, extending many miles inland to Washington, Newbern, and Beaufort. In the language of the chief engineer of the rebels, Colonel Thompson, in an official report, "it is the key of the Albemarle." In my judgment it is a station second in importance only to Fortress Monroe on this coast. As a depot for coaling and supplies for the blockading squadron, it is invaluable. As a harbor for our coasting trade, or inlet from the winter storm, or from pirates, it is of the first importance. By holding it, Hatteras light may again send forth its cheering ray to the storm-beaten mariner, of which the worse than vandalism of the rebels deprives him. It has but one drawback—a want of good water-but of that a condenser, like the one now in operation at Fortress Monroe, at a cost of a few hundred dollars, will relieve.

The position of the fort is an exceedingly strong one, nearly surrounded on all sides by water, and only to be approached by a marsh of five hundred yards circuitously over a long neck of sand, within half musket range, and over a causeway a few feet only in width, and which was commanded by two thirty-two pound guns, loaded with grape and canister, which were expended in our salute. It had a well-protected magazine and bomb-proof, capable of sheltering some three or four hundred men. The parapet was nearly of octagon form, enclosing about two-thirds of an acre of ground, well covered, with sufficient traverses, and ramparts, and parapets, upon which our shells had made but little impression.

The larger work, nearest this inlet, was known as Fort atteras. Fort Clark, which was about seven hundred yards northerly, is a While all have done well, I desire to speak square redoubt, mounting five guns and two in terms of especial commendation, in addition six-pounders. The enemy had spiked these to those before mentioned, of the steadiness guns, but in a very inefficient manner, upon and cool courage of Col. Max Weber, who we abandoning the fort the day before. I had all were obliged to leave in command of a detachthe troops on shore at the time of the surren- ment of three hundred men on a strange coast, der of the forts, but re-embarked the regulars withont camp equipage or possibility of aid, in and marines. Finding it impossible, without a the face of an enemy six hundred strong, on a delay of the fleet which could not be justified dark and stormy night; of Lieut.-Col. Weiss, under the state of facts at Fortress Monroe, who conducted a reconnoissance of twenty men; and owing to the threatening appearance of the of the daring and prompt efficiency of Capt. weather, I disembarked the provisions, making, | Nixon, of the "Coast Guards," who, with his

I append to this report a statement of the prizes which have been taken into that "inlet" within a few days, compiled from the official documents captured with the fort. I add hereto an official report of the chief engineer of the coast defences of the rebels. Please find also appended a statement of the arms and munitions of war captured with the fort, as nearly as they can be ascertain

men, occupied "Fort Clark" during the first night, although dismantled, in the face of an enemy of unknown numbers. I desire to commend to your attention Capt. Jardine, of the New York Ninth, who was left in command of the detachment of his regiment when the unfortunate casualty to the Harriet Lane prevented Col. Hawkins from landing.

Permit me to speak of the efficiency of the regulars under Lieut. Larned, who worked zealously in aiding to land their comrades, of the volunteers, overwhelmed with the rolling surf. I desire especially to make acknowledgments to Messrs. Weigel and Durivage, volunteer aids, who planted the American flag upon Fort Clark, on the second morning, to indicate to the fleet its surrender, and to prevent the further wasting of shells upon it-a service of great danger from the fire of their own friends. I make honorable mention of young Fiske, who risked his life among the breakers, being thrown on shore, to carry my orders to the troops landed, and to apprise them of the movements and intentions of the fleet; also, my thanks for the valuable aid of Capt. Haggerty, who was employed in visiting the prizes in the harbor while we were agreeing upon the terms of capitulation.

In fine, General, I may congratulate you and the country upon a glorious victory in your department, in which we captured more than seven hundred men, twenty-five pieces of artillery, a thousand stand of arms, a large quantity of ordnance stores, provisions, three valuable prizes, two light boats, and four stand of colors, one of which had been presented within a week by the ladies of Newbern, North Carolina, to the "North Carolina Defenders."

By the goodness of that Providence which watches over our nation, no one of the fleet or army was in the least degree injured.

The enemy's loss was not officially reported to us, but was ascertained to be twelve or fifteen killed and thirty-five wounded.

I enclose herewith the official report of the rebel wounded, by Dr. Wm. M. King, of the United States storeship Supply.

I have the honor to be, very respectfully,
your obedient servant, BENJ. F. BUTLER,
Major-General United States Army,
Com. Volunteers.
Maj.-Gen. JOHN E. WOOL.

FORT HATTERAS, Sept. 5, 1861.

Major-General Butler:

SIR: I take the first opportunity which is offered to me by the arrival of a steamer from Fortress Monroe, to report to you the action of the troops who were landed and acted under my command in the capture of Fort Hatteras.

Of the services to the country of the gentlemen of the navy proper, I may not speak, for one ought not to praise when he has no right to censure, and they will be appropriately mentioned, I doubt not, by the commander, who is capable of appreciating their good conduct. But I am emboldened to ask permission, if the Department shall determine to occupy the point as a permanent post, that its name may be changed, by general order, from Fort Hatteras to Fort Stringham. But, of those gentlemen who served under my immediate command, I may make honorable mention, as I have before done, of the zealous, intrepid, and untiring action of Lieut. Crosby, who took an armed canal boat (the steam-tug Fanny, from Fort Monroe) to Hatteras Inlet, in order that the expedition might have the aid of a steamer of the lightest draft. Capt. Shuttleworth, of the marine corps, deserves well for his loyalty and efficiency in his active detachment of marines. Much of the success of the expedition is due Forty-five men of the regiment, Capt. Larner to the preparation of the transport service by and Lieut. Loder; forty-five men of marine solCommander Stellwagen, and the prompt pres-diers of the Minnesota; sixty-eight men Ninth ence of mind with which he took the troops regiment N. Y. V., Capt. Jardine; one hunfrom their peril, when the Adelaide touched on dred and two men Twentieth regiment N. Y. the bar, is a rare quality in an officer in danger. V.; twenty-eight men Union Coast Guard, Although Capt. Faunce, of the Pawnee ser- Capt. Nixon; twenty men, sailors, (artillery :) vice, now in command of the Harriet Lane, making a total of three hundred and eighteen was unfortunate enough to get his vessel on one men. of the numerous sand bars about the inlet, it happened, I believe, in consequence of a deternination, creditable in him, to aid me by being near to cover the troops in landing. Captain Lowry, who had the George Peabody in charge, brought in his vessel with safety, with the troops, who were pleased with his care and conduct. He still remains at the inlet.

I had all reason to be very cautious, having but a small force, and the more as we saw the enemy reinforce the fort all the time.

Our distance from the first fort (Clark) was about three miles. I sent Lieut.-Col. Weiss with twenty men of the Twentieth regiment to make a reconnoissance, and ordered Lieut. Weigel (ordnance officer of Gen. Butler's staff) to

On Wednesday morning, the 29th ult., at ten o'clock, the landing of troops commenced; the surf was running very high, and continued to run higher and higher, so that but three hundred and eighteen men could be landed. The condition of these troops was, of course, a very bad one; all of us were wet up to the shoulders, cut off entirely from the fleet, with wet ammunition and without any provisions, but still all had but one thought-to advance.

I appointed Capt. Von Doehn of the Twentieth regiment, who has been Acting-Adjutant of Camp Hamilton for the last three months, to act also here in that capacity, had the troops formed in line, counted, and reported to me as follows!

accompany him. The latter soon returned with the report that Lieut.-Col. Weiss took one cannon, (dismounted,) and that the troops commenced to evacuate the first fort. I then ordered Capt. Von Doehn and Capt. Hoeffling's company of the Twentieth regiment to reinforce Lieut.-Col. Weiss, and to take possession of the fort, (Clark.) This order was carried out immediately. Lieut.-Col. Weiss occupied the fort, took himself the first secession flag,

and hoisted the American.

Myself followed with the rest of the troops, when the navy commenced firing upon us, shells bursting right over us and in our midst, so that a further advance was impossible. Two shells burst in the fort, wounding one of my men slightly on the hand.

I still held the fort occupied, sent an American flag along the beach, and the firing


I then ordered Capt Nixon, with eighty men of his command, to take possession of the fort during the night, put out pickets toward the second fort, and to watch the enemy very carefully. Capt. Jardine, with his company, occupied the beach near the second fort, in order to prevent the enemy from cutting off our troops in the first fort; and myself, with the rest of the troops, retreated to the landing place, where we bivouacked. During the night nothing of importance occurred. The next morning, as soon as the firing of the fleet commenced, I advanced with all my forces, ready to take the second fort as soon as the firing would cease. I ordered Capt. Myers' company and Adjutant Kluckhuhn of the Twentieth regiment, to cross the beach where the camp of the enemy was evacuated. A color and quartermaster's stove were found there. (The color was afterward delivered to Com. Stringham, who claimed the same.)

A rifled six-pounder was also landed, and I ordered Lieutenant Johnson, of the Union Coast Guard, to advance with it as far as possible, and to fire upon the secession steamers, which was done with great success; they soon left entirely. We remained thus four hours in this position, the shells bursting over us, when at last the white flag was hoisted on the second fort. Captain Nixon, the nearest to the fort, prepared immediately to meet the enemy, and was the first who entered the fort. Lieutenant-Colonel Weiss, Captain Van Doehn, and myself followed; the troops remained at fifty yards' distance from the fort. I ordered also the surgeons, Dr. Fritz, of the Twentieth regiment, Dr. Humphrey, of the Ninth regiment, and Dr. King, of the Navy, to assist dressing the wounded.

I take also the opportunity of mentioning Captain Larner and Lieutenant Loder, and the marine officers, who have rendered me great assistance; and I am greatly obliged to them for their support during the whole expedition.

Though the troops of my regiment had but little occasion to distinguish themselves, I think

it still my duty to say that all of them did their duty in every respect.

I have the honor to be your most obedient servant, MAX WEBER, Colonel commanding Fort Hatteras. CAMP HATTERAS, September 3, 1861.

above regiment, certify herewith, upon honor, We, the undersigned, officers and men of the that Lieutenant-Colonel Francis Weiss, of the above regiment, headed us in the assault on Fort Clark, near Camp Hatteras, on Wednesday, August 28th, between the hours of three and five o'clock in the afternoon; that he was the first one who entered, taking the secession flag from the rampart, and securing two six-pounders and five thirty-two pounders, during a very heavy fire between the enemy and our fleet for more than one hour and a half, in behalf of the United States of North America.

We further testify that nobody except this body, respectfully signed, ever before us entered the above-named fort, and declare herewith, upon oath, that the flag which was taken personally by Lieut.-Col. F. Weiss is the true and right one which waved upon the fort, and was given them back by the United States Navy upon representation of this regiment, as a token of respect and acknowledgment for the important service so rendered.

We further declare, upon oath if necessary, that if any other person has reported othermisrepresentation-all being due in Fort Clark wise, this person, whoever he was, made a gross only to Lieutenant-Colonel F. Weiss, of the Twentieth regiment, and the officers and men then under his command.

Joseph Hocffling, Capt. of Co. K, Twentieth; Louis Kroeck, Second Lieut. Co. K; William Haffner, First Lieut. Co. K; Robert Werkle, Second Lieut. Co. II; Fritz Letzeisen, Second Lieut. Co. B; Christian Lohman, Sergt. Co. K; Adolphus Freick, Co. A; Charles Griner, Co. A; privates G. Schulein, Ch. Schade, A. Ott, J. Fessler, J. Reheis, F. Martin, A. Riedel, S. Schmid, H. Trabald, C. Richter, A. Palke, J. Frick, J. Frietag, F. Gagl, T. Warkmuller, F. Fesg, T. Rau, T. Mass, Co. A; A. Weiss, E. Hass, S. Schuhmann, G. Aale, A. Reiman, F. Breuthut, T. Krause, II. Wallman, Co. B; W. Dietz, Co. D.

[blocks in formation]

cluded to land them, as requested in your com- | 26, 1861, the earliest moment the weather munication in reference to prisoners coming would permit, with the flag-ship Minnesota, into possession of the navy. After landing Captain G. A. Van Brune, having in company them I shall return to Hampton Roads. the United States steamers Wabash, Captain Respectfully, your obedient servant, Samuel Mercer; Monticello, Commander John S. H. STRINGHAM, P. Gillis; Pawnee, Commander S. C. Rowan; Flag-officer Atlantic Blockading Squadron. Harriet Lane, Captain John Faunce; United OFF HATTERAS INLET, States chartered steamers Adelaide, Commander Henry S. Stellwagen; George Peabody, Lieutenant R. B. Lowry; and tug Fanny, Lieutenant Pierce Crosby, all of the United States Navy.

U. S. SHIP MINNESOTA, August 30, 1861. Hon. Gideon Welles, Secretary of the Navy: SIR: I have the honor to enclose the articles of capitulation agreed upon at the surrender of the forts at the Inlet of Hatteras, North Carolina.

If the Department have any orders, I should
be pleased to receive them at New York.
Respectfully, your obedient servant,
Flag-officer Atlantic Blockading Squadron.

U. S. FLAG-SHIP MINNESOTA, August 29, A. D. 1861. Articles of capitulation between Flag-officer Stringham, commanding the Atlantic Blockading Squadron, and Benjamin F. Butler, United States Army, commanding on behalf of the Government, and Samuel Barron, commanding the naval force for the defence of North Carolina and Virginia, and Colonel Martin, commanding the forces, and Major Andrews, commanding the same forces at Hatteras.

It is stipulated and agreed between the contracting parties, that the forces under command of the said Barron, Martin, and Andrews, and all munitions of war, arms, men, and property under the command of said Barron, Martin, and Andrews, be unconditionally surrendered to the Government of the United States in terms of full capitulation.

And it is stipulated and agreed by the contracting parties on the part of the United States Government, that the officers and men shall receive the treatment due to prisoners of war.

In witness whereof, we, the said Stringham and Butler, on behalf of the United States, and the said Barron, Martin, and Andrews, representing the forces at Hatteras Inlet, hereunto interchangeably set our hands, this twenty-ninth day of August, A. D. 1861, and of the Independence of the United States the eighty-fifth year.

Flag-Officer Atlantic Blockading Squadron.
Major-General U. S. A., commanding.

Flag-Officer C. S. Navy,
Com'g Naval Forces Virginia and North Carolina.
Colonel Seventh Light Infantry, N. C. Vols.
Major Com'g Forts Hatteras and Clark.



NEW YORK HARBOR, September 2, 1861.
Hon. Gideon Welles, Secretary of Navy:
SIR: I have the honor to inform the De-
partment that I left Hampton Roads August

The transports Adelaide and George Peabody towing schooners with surf-boats on them, and the Monticello and Pawnee surf-boats only.

Major-General Butler took passage in this ship; the transports having parts of two regiments, and one company of regulars, under the conimand of Colonels Max Weber and Hawkins, and Captain Larnard, United States army. At P. M., passed Cape Henry, and discharged pilot; light airs from south and east, with a ground swell.

Tuesday, 27th-Light airs from south and east, with a heavy ground swell. At half-past nine, A. M., Cape Hatteras light in sight, rounded the shoals off Hatteras, and at five P. M. anchored at the southward of the cape-the squadron in company. Hoisted out the surfboats, and made preparations for landing troops in the morning.

Wednesday 28th-Southerly winds; heavy surf rolling on the beach.

Calling the men at four A. M., we gave them an early breakfast. Put twelve-pound riflegun and twelve-pound howitzer in one of the surf-boats, and sent it to the Adelaide.

Major-General Butler and the marines of the Minnesota, the latter under command of Captain Wm. S. Shuttleworth, U. S. M. C., are sent to the Harriet Lane.

At forty-five minutes past six A. M., made signal to disembark troops, and ordered the Pawnee, Monticello, and Harriet Lane to cover and assist in landing them.

At forty-five minutes past eight, the Wabash with the Cumberland, Captain John Marston, in tow, led in toward Fort Clark, the Minnesota following. At the same time the Monticello, Pawnee, Harriet Lane, and the transports, stood in toward a wreck about two miles east of the fort, and commenced landing the troops at half-past eleven o'clock.

At ten o'clock, the Wabash and Cumberland opened fire on Fort Clark. The fire was returned by the fort.

At ten minutes after ten the Minnesota passed inside the Wabash and Cumberland, and opened fire. The vessels continued pussing and repassing the fort until it was abandoned by the enemy.

The fire was returned from the fort, the shot falling short or passing over the ships.

At eleven o'clock the Susquehanna, Captain J. Chauncey, made her number and was directed to engage the battery.

At twenty-five minutes past twelve P. M., flags down on Forts Clark and Hatteras, the first apparently abandoned by the enemy, who were running toward Fort Hatteras, and leaving the shore in boats.

At half-past twelve P. M. made signal to 66 cease firing." At ten minutes after one P. M. our troops moving up the beach. At two P. M. American flag displayed from Fort Clark by our pickets, who were in possession.

At four o'clock, Monticello, Captain Gillis, was ordered to feel his way into the inlet and take possession, but he had advanced only a short distance when fire was opened on him from Fort Hatteras, toward which a tug-steamer, towing a schooner filled with troops, was seen coming from the southward for its relief.

General signal, "Engage batteries," was immediately made. The Minnesota, Susquehanna, and Pawnee opened fire at once, the Wabash having towed the Cumberland into the offing.

The Monticello, from her advanced position, was much exposed, and was struck several times; but finally hauled off without serious damage.

At a quarter past six o'clock signal to cease firing was made, and the squadron hauled off for night with the exception of the Monticello, Pawnee, and Harı Lane-they being ordered to go in shore and protect the troops during the night. Wind from S. and weather looking squally.

Thursday, 29th-S. W. wind, and pleasant weather. Sea more moderate.

At half-past five A. M. made general signal, "Prepare to engage batteries, and follow my motions; " weighed anchor, and stood in shore; discovered the main body of our troops near where they landed.

At a quarter past seven instructed Commanders of Monticello and Pawnee to attend to the troops on the beach, and embark them if they wished to come off; if they did not, to provision them.

At half-past seven made general signal, "Attack batteries, but be careful not to fire near the battery in our possession."

At eight A. M. Susquehanna leading, opened fire on Fort Hatteras, the Wabash following; Minnesota passing inside of the Wabash, anchored between her and the Susquehanna and opened fire at a quarter past eight o'clock. At nine the Cumberland came in under sail, handled handsomely, and anchored in excellent position on the starboard bow of the Minnesota, and commenced firing with effect.

[blocks in formation]
[blocks in formation]

Upon the appearance of the white flag, our troops marched toward the fort, and, as if by preconcerted signal, but without any order or request, the officers and crews of the squadron gave three hearty cheers for our success.

At half-past eleven Major-General Butler, in the tug Fanny, went into the inlet, to the rear of the forts, to take possession. Three steamers and several schooners, with troops on board, were in the Sound, watching the engagement. They all left as the Fanny approached. She fired at them with her rifled piece. I directed Harriet Lane to go in the inlet, giving her my best pilot. She grounded but soon got off.

The chartered steamers, with the remaining troops on board, went into the inlet. The Lane, in following these steamers, grounded a second time, and had been unable at the time of my departure from the inlet (three P. M. of the 30th) to get off. The weather being fine and the sea smooth, and having the assistance of the Susquehannah, Monticello, and Pawnee under my direction to render every aid, I am in hopes that she has ere this succeeded in getting afloat again.

In this connection I may very appropriately apprise the Department, and congratulate myself, that I have no accident to record to a single officer or man of the navy, army, or marines.

At about half-past two P. M. of the 29th, Major-General Butler came to this ship, bringing with him three senior officers, viz.: Samuel Barron, Flag-officer Confederate States Navy, commanding naval defences of Virginia and North Carolina; Wm. F. Martin, Colonel Seventh regiment of infantry, North Carolina Volunteers; W. S. G. Andrews, Major, commanding Forts Hatteras and Clark; informing me the enemy had surrendered under the stipulations contained in the original agreement between myself and Major-General Butler on behalf of the United States Government, and the officers above named on the part of the enemy, which agreement I had the honor of inclosing with my despatch, No. 134, under date Aug. 30, off Hatteras Inlet.

I have the honor to enclose a copy of the re

« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »