Изображения страниц

This frank speech was received in the spirit which dictated it. The ceremonies were then concluded by the singing of the ode written by William Cullen Bryant, which formed a part of the funeral ceremonies in New York.

The hour for the removal of the coffin from the rotunda having nearly arrived, a majority of the people who had listened to the funeral oration quietly wended their way toward High street, which was densely thronged, until the cortege was reformed and moved to the depot.

At six o'clock in the evening the doors of the Capitol were closed, the bugle sounded the assembly, the soldiers took arms, and the procession began reforming for the final escort to the depot. As the body was being borne out to the funeral car at the west gateway of the Capitol grounds, a national salute was fired. Soon after, the procession moved, and the remains of the President were transferred to the funeral car at the depot of the Indiana Central Railway, for transportation to Indianapolis.

The committee superintending the catafalque in the rotunda determined to allow it to remain until the remains of Lincoln were consigned to the tomb at Springfield, and it is to be recorded as a memorable deed for the citizens of Columbus, that every morning until that of the 4th of May, fresh flowers were placed around the dais where the President's coffin had rested, and thousands of men, women and children visited and revisited the catafalque, and again and again with sad emotion viewed the symbols of grief which decorated the rotunda of Ohio's Capitol, in which, in February,

1861, Mr. Lincoln had been given the most enthusiastic reception ever bestowed by the people of Ohio upon a citizen of the Republic.

The funeral train left Columbus at eight o'clock. B. E. Smith, Esq., President, and J. M. Lunt, Esq., Superintendent of the Columbus and Indianapolis Central Railway, accompanied it, giving personal attention to the wants and wishes of the passengers. They had with them Messrs. Blemer and Cummings, chief track men, and William Slater, telegraphic operator, with all the necessary implements for immediate repair. S. A. Hughes, Esq., as Conductor, and Mr. James Gounley, Engineer, were in charge of the train.

At Pleasant Valley bonfires lit up the country for miles. A large concourse of citizens assembled around the depot. Two American flags, draped in mourning, were held in hand by two ladies. At Unionville about two hundred persons present, most of them sitting in wagons -the people having come from the country. At Milford, assembled around bonfires, four or five hundred people waved flags and handkerchiefs slowly. About two miles from that place a farmer and his family were standing in a field by a bonfire, waving a flag. At Woodstock about five hundred people greeted the train. The ladies presented bouquets; one by Miss Villard, Miss Lucy Kimble and Miss Mary Cranston, on the part of the ladies of Woodstock; another by Miss Ann Currier; and another by Mrs. G. Martin and Miss Delilah Beltz, two sisters. These ladies were permitted to enter the President's car and strew flowers on the coffin. The Woodstock Cornet Band, U. Cushman, leader, played a dirge and hymn - "Dreaming, I sleep, love," and

Pleyel's Hymn. The village bells slowly rang; men stood silent with uncovered heads. A soldier stood in the center of an assemblage, holding a flag. All men stood uncovered.

Urbana was reached at ten o'clock forty minutes. Not less than three thousand people had gathered near the depot. On the platform was a large cross, entwined with circling wreaths of evergreens, which was worked under the direction of Mrs. Milo G. Williams, President Ladies' Soldiers' Aid Society. From the top of the cross, and shorter arms, were hung illuminated colored transparencies. On the opposite side of the track was an elevated platform, on which were forty gentlemen and ladies, who sang with patriotic sweetness the hymn entitled, "Go to Thy Rest." The singing represented the Methodist, Baptist, Episcopalian and Presbyterian Churches. Large bonfires made night as light as day. Minute guns were fired. Ten young ladies entered the car and strewed flowers on the martyr's bier. One of the ladies was so affected that she cried and wept in great anguish.

At St. Paris were brilliant illuminations, by which could be seen a number of drooped flags, a large assembly present, who stood in silence as they looked on the moving train. A bouquet was presented and placed on the coffin by Mrs. Purron. The bouquet was a most artistic one, made by Stoutey Meyer. At Westville Station crowds were gathered to pay respect to the dead. At Conover a long line of people two deep stood in file; on the right little boys and girls, then young men and women, and on the left the elderly people. In the center, supporting a large American flag, were three young

ladies, Miss Eliza Throckmorton, Miss Nora Brecount, and Miss Barnes. A patriotic religious song, with a slow and mournful air, was chanted by the flag-bearers.

At twenty minutes past twelve o'clock the train reached Piqua. Not less than ten thousand people crowded about it. The Troy Band and the Piqua Band played appropriate music, after which a delegation from the Methodist Churches, under Rev. Granville (Colonel) Moody, sang a hymn. Rev. Moody repeated the first line, when it was then sung by the entire choir. Think of such actions at the midnight hour, when humanity is supposed to lay by its cares, and take its rest in the arms of repose. At Gettysburg was a large number of people around huge bonfires. Drooping flags and other evidences of mourning were displayed. There were like scenes at Richmond Junction and Covington.

At Greenville, Ohio, thirty-six young ladies dressed in white, slowly waving the Star Spangled Banner, greeted the cortege. Lafayette's Requiem was sung with thrilling effect by a number of ladies and gentlemen. About five hundred people were congregated on the platform. Company C, 28th Ohio Infantry, was drawn up in line, with firearms reversed. The depot was tastefully decorated. On either side of the depot were two bonfires fifteen feet high, which shed most brilliant light all around the train and depot.

At New Paris great bonfires lit up the skies. A crowd was gathered about, who stood with uncovered heads. A beautiful arch of evergreens was formed above the track, under which the train passed. The arch was twenty feet high and thirty feet in circum

ference. At Wiley's, New Madison and Weaver's Stations, hundreds of mourners were congregated.

The funeral train was delivered just across the line, at Richmond, by the Ohio officials to Governor Morton of Indiana, and his suite.

Thus Ohio honoring Lincoln in his life-time gave him her supreme homage at his death.


I am indebted to former Governor James E. Campbell, President of the Ohio State Archæological and Historical Society, for the privilege of reproducing in fac simile one of Lincoln's most famous and expressive letters, the original being owned by the Governor, as well as for suggestions that were helpful to me.

To Mr. Charles B. Galbreath, Secretary and Librarian of the Society, I am under special obligations for his valuable aid and criticism, and for his careful reading of the manuscript, thereby securing the benefit of his scholarly and literary help.

I am also indebted in various ways to the following for substantial help: Mrs. Charles W. Nickum, Dayton, Ohio; The Dayton Journal; The Detroit News, Herbert F. Hirshberg, Ohio State Librarian; N. D. C. Hodges, Librarian Public Library of Cincinnati; Marilla W. Freeman, Cleveland Public Library; Electra C. Doren, and Frederick H. Cook, Dayton Public Library; Alice Comstock, Columbus City Library; Stanley J. McMichael, Cleveland; J. Edgar Butler, and Charles J. Justice, Columbus.

« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »