Изображения страниц


and wounded, and list of rebel wounded, and left by us at Mount Zion. I have the honor to be, Captain, very respectfully, your obedient B. M. PRENTISS, Brigadier-General.


List of killed and wounded at the battle of Mount
Zion, December 28, 1861, of the First Regiment of
Sharpshooters-Colonel Birge commanding.

John W. Donaldson, do.; Allen H. Fite, Com-
pany F.

Severely Wounded.-W. Derot, Company B, since died; Sergeant Larimore, Company B; J. Manar, Company B; P. Putnam, Company B; C. H. Machie, Company H; H. Gurnon, Company H; C. Atherton, Company H.

Slightly Wounded.-A. Henoesi, Company A; John Lynch, Jesse Chambers, L. Beach, D. Martimore, W. H. Blake, Tobias Miller, Peter Edwards, Company B; Sergeant Weeks, Company D; Sergeant Lemon, Corporal Carr, J. M. Parker, J. Vinton, M. Grady, T. Slevin, Company H.

Report of killed and wounded at the skirmish near
Hallsville, December 27, 1861, and at the battle of
Mount Zion, December 28, 1861, of Colonel John
Glover's Third Missouri Cavalry.

Killed.-Hugh Gregg, Company C; Alfred
Magers, do.; G. Milton Douglas, do.

Severely Wounded.-Andreus Goodrich, Company A, since died; Wm. Wright, Company B, since died; Charles Carnehan, Company A, since died; D. H. Hindman, do., do.; C. C. Washburn, do., do.; John R. Stewart, Company O, do.; George Barcastle, do., do.; Isaac Black, do., do.; Wm. H. Hardin, Company E, do.; Benjamin F. Tidell, do., do.


MISSOURI "DEMOCRAT" ACCOUNT. CAMP MCCLELLAN, NORTH MISSOURI, STURGEON, Saturday, Dec. 28. One of the sharpest battles of the war was fought about eighteen miles from this place today. Colonel Birge, commanding his regiment of sharpshooters, had learned through his spies that a rebel camp was located at a place called Mount Zion Meeting House, in Boone County. General Prentiss having come to this place yesterday with about three hundred cavalry, under command of five companies of command of Colonel Glover, he accordingly organized sharpshooters, under Colonel Birge, and two Arriving withhundred cavalry, under Colonel Glover, and moved toward the rebel camp. in about a mile, General Prentiss ordered Colonel Glover to attack a detachment of about one hundred, which had taken position in a lane. He did so with great gallantry, killing a number, and taking several prisoners. The others fled to camp.

List of rebel wounded left at Mount Zion Church, after the battle of December 28, 1861. W. C. McLean, arm broken; Wm. Phillips, shot through stomach; Wm. Swader, Calloway County, (since died,) right breast; Wm. T. Ives, Lincoln County, through groin; Major Thomas Breckinridge, Warren County, right arm and left breast; John H. Jones, Warren County, thigh; Samuel Barnum, Lincoln County, left shoulder; F. J. Brougham, Calloway County, neck; A. J. Parson, Montgomery County, left thigh; Robert Snead, Lincoln County, both thighs; C. King, Lincoln County, both thighs; W. H. Vaughn, Lincoln County, throat; C. McDonald, St. Charles County, both thighs; Abram Bramberger, Calloway County, left breast; J. E. McConnell, Montgomery County, right thigh; L. Davis, Breckinridge County, The order of battle was now assumed. Colright cheek and neck; F. G. Henderson, St. Charles County, hand; R. S. Montford, Callo-onel Birge, with three companies of his comway County, calf of leg; J. Crossman, Boone mand, advanced through the field, taking the County, small of back; C. Cuisenberry, Boone left, joined the force of Colonel Glover, while Kernan, St. Charles General Prentiss held a position with a reserve County, right breast; County, left hand and face; John Bailey, War- of sharpshooters and a portion of cavalry. The ren County, thigh; Captain Myers, Warren attack was commenced in full force. The fire County, side; W. R. Smith, Pike County, left from the whole rebel line was terrific upon the shoulder; Martin, Pike County, leg; Law- right wing. For a moment our column waverrence Jacobie, Pike County, hand. Four names ed and fell back. Colonel Birge, observing this, rode into the most perfect storm of leaden hail not obtained, dangerously wounded. that was ever met on battle-field, calling upon the men to rally. Colonel Glover, coming up with Major Temple, and uniting with Colonel Birge, soon rallied the whole line, and the fight became terrible. Captain Boyd, advancing from the right wing, poured in from the rifles, at every fire, messengers of death. Colonel Birge, with a daring that could not be excelled, led on the left wing. He soon saw the enemy on the right giving way, and, sounding the cry of vicColonel Birge tory, the whole line rushed forward, and the rebels fled in every direction. pursued them, with Captain Boyd, for two miles, killing four, and taking five prisoners.

The rebel battle-ground-what a sight! After they had taken away, before they fled, seven

Slightly Wounded.-Captain J. T. Harland, Company A; F. S. Morris, Company A; Joseph Washburne, Company A; Daniel Barret, Company A; J. H. Warnesbry, Company B; James Eagle, do.; Marion Morrell, Company C; Thos. Phillipot, do.; Henry Ferguson, do.; John Wessell, do.; Thomas Kirby, do.; John Scroggen, do.; William Beman, do.; Robert Allen, do.; Herbert Reed, Company D; J. A. Flickiner, do.; J. H. Turner, Company A; Henry Alters, Company A; Daniel Shannehan, Company B; Julius Kreuling, Company B; Henry Henry, Company C; Henry S. Akers, do.; Jesse Steele, do.; William H. Howell, do.; John R. Rogers, do.; Millard Williams, do.; William B. Davis, Company F; John Macklin, do.; George Lopez, do.;

wagon loads, it was then completely covered the 28th. Long before the hour arrived, the with dead and wounded. The rebels had taken men were in the saddle, and eager for the chosen ground in the woods, where cavalry march. We started at the hour, and arrived could not operate. Colonel Glover, however, near the scene of the last night's fight just dismounted his cavalry, and led them forward after daylight. Proceeding cautiously over the with his usual bravery. The coolness and dar- ground, we saw just beyond, in a lane, the ading of Colonel Birge, in rallying his men in the vance guard of the enemy, about one hundred midst of a perfect tornado of bullets, is deserv- strong, who were disposed to dispute our furing of all the praise due to a gallant soldier; and ther advance. what is more for him, during the three hours the battle raged, he never left his position in advance of the line, cheering his men on.

The rebels lost, in killed, wounded, and missing, not less than one hundred and fifty. Ninety horses were taken, and a load of arms, saddles, and all their camp equipage. Our loss, eight or nine killed, and about twenty-five wounded.

Lieut. Yates, of Company B, who led our advance guard, dismounted his men, and gave the rebels a taste of his Sharp's rifles. He had not opened fire but a few moments, when Captain Bradway was ordered to charge on the enemy with his company. This he did, and the rebels, who before this had broken, fled in all directions. Colonel Glover, who, with two companies of infantry and three of cavalry, had gone across an adjoining field, came up in time to assist in the pursuit, and captured some twenty of the rebels. The enemy lost in this encounter four killed and seven wounded. None of our men were killed or wounded.

On Monday, December 23d, six companies of Colonel Glover's cavalry received marching orders for the next day, with instructions to take their camp equipage and four days' rations. As soon as we had secured the prisoners and On the 25th they started, accompanied by attended to the wounded, Col. Glover ordered Brig. Gen. Prentiss and part of his staff, Col. Major Carrick to take one of the prisoners, and Glover, Major Carrick, and Adjutant White a company of cavalry, and go and find the exact being in command. They arrived at Sturgeon, location of the enemy's camp; while the balance on the North Missouri Railroad, at seven o'clock of the men were ordered to take position a half of the 26th, and half frozen-having made a mile in advance of where we had met the rebel forced march, in the face of a bitter cold wind, advance guard. The major took the prisoner, of twenty-eight miles, twelve of which being and thirty men, and soon found the stronghold unbroken prairie, in less than ten hours. On of the enemy. Ordering the men to dismount, his arrival, General Prentiss received informa- Major Carrick, with a bravery and daring wortion of the existence of a camp of rebels néar a thy of a better fate, attacked the enemy six meeting house known as Mount Zion, about six-hundred strong. The men fought well and teen miles from Sturgeon. never flinched under the terrible fire of the enemy, until they were ordered to retreat by the Major. In this attack we lost three killed and several wounded, together with ten prisoners.



On the morning of the 27th, he despatched Captain Howland, of Company A, with fortysix men of his command, under the direction of the man who gave the information, to find the whereabouts of the rebel encampment. This In the mean time Gen. Prentiss had ordered guide, by the way, had said that there were but the infantry,under the command of Col. Birge, to sixty or eighty rebels at the place spoken of. advance under the cover of a cornfield, deployCaptain H., after having satisfied himself of the ing as skirmishers, and attack the enemy on the location of the rebel camp, began his march | north or rear, while Col. Glover, with the entire back to Sturgeon, when just at sunset he came force of cavalry, made an attack on the east and upon the rear guard of the enemy, who appear- south, thus almost completely surrounding the ed to have prepared themselves to cut him off enemy and rendering his capture certain. But on his return. Captain Howland immediately for reasons unknown to the writer, the sharpattacked and dispersed the rebels, taking seven shooters failed to attack from the cornfield and prisoners, six horses, and nine guns. While he woods, instead of which they passed through was engaged in securing his prisoners and the field and came out into the lane immediately horses, the main body of the enemy, some in front of Col. Glover. This deranged the four hundred and fifty strong, who had heard order of battle; and the consequence was, that the firing, made an attack on his handful of the sharpshooters and cavalry became mingled men, and after half an hour of desperate fight-in the final charge. Col. Glover pressed foring, succeeded in dispersing them, wounding ward with his men, until a shower of bullets four-among them the gallant captain, and warned him that it was time to dismount, as taking three privates and himself prisoners. bushwhacking was the order of the day. The men dismounted, and the battle soon became general. From the woods, where the enemy was hidden from view, came a perfect bailstorm of bullets. From Mount Zion, where the main body of the enemy was posted, came a continuous roar of fire-arms. From the lane,

Immediately on the receipt of the news of the fight, brought by those who had escaped, General Prentiss gave orders for the six companies of cavalry, and three of Colonel Birge's sharpshooters, to be ready to march fo the rebel camp at two o'clock on the morning of

the open field, and the cornfield, the sharp | five guns, and a large number of horses, blan crack of Sharp's rifles blended with the louder kets, powder-horns and shot-bags. After attendreport of the Enfield and Dimmick. Our men ing to our wounded, we began to return to fought like heroes, and never a man of them Sturgeon, which we reached at nine o'clock flinched. There was not a moment, from the the same night. -Hannibal (Mo.) Messenger. beginning of the battle to the end, when the fate of the day was undecided.

After the firing had lasted about half an hour, Col. Glover gave the order to charge on the enemy. "Come on, men," said he, "let us fight them in their own way-let us bushwhack them." With a wild cheer the men followed the lead of their intrepid commander. Springing over the fence, they were soon face to face with the enemy. Our foes largely outnumbered us, and had the advantage of position; they were brave men, and fought well. But their bravery and numbers availed but little against the daring and impetuosity of our men. soon as we got into the woods where we could see the rebels, our rifles began to tell with ter


rible effect on their ranks. Men fell in all directions, until the ground was fairly covered with dead and wounded. For ten minutes after we entered the woods, the enemy held their ground, and then broke and fled in every direction. We followed them for three-quarters of a mile beyond the church and then gave up the chase. From first to last, the battle lasted about two hours.

Doc. 241.


The enemy were commended by Col. Dorsey, Lieut.-Col. Kent, and Major Breckinridge. We took twenty-seven prisoners, one hundred and


A CORRESPONDENT of the Nashville Banner gives a spirited account of the fight at Sacramento, Ky., between a number of Confederate cavalry, headed by Colonel Forrest, of Mississippi, and three hundred Hessian cavalry, under Major Murray. The writer, after detailing a few preliminaries, says:


Thus ended one of the most severely contested and bloody battles that has been fought in Missouri, in proportion to the numbers engaged. Our force consisted of six companies of cavalry, numbering about three hundred, and parts of three companies of Col. Birge's Sharpshooterssay one hundred and fifty men. Thus our whole force did not exceed four hundred and fifty, men and officers. To this the rebels opposed seven hundred or seven hundred and fifty men, nearly all of whom were armed with double-barrelled shot guns, making their numbers equal to fifteen hundred men. If they had fired low, with this immense superiority, they would have annihilated us. But, fortunately for us, they fired too high, and most of their shots passed over our heads.

Our men immediately put off in pursuit toward Calhoun, and in a short time came up with the enemy and opened fire upon his rear. The enemy wheeled and fired, but in a few moments fled in the wildest confusion, with our gallant band in hot pursuit. Never were men more terribly in earnest than was this Lincoln cavalry in their efforts to get away, and never were men more terribly in earnest than were men in the pursuit. "Over the hills and far away" they flew, the capes of their large blue overcoats flying in the breeze, and reminding the pursuers of a flock of buzzards suddenly scared up from their feast. At first, their horses being fresh, they gained on us, but pretty soon it became evident that we were nearing them. Pistols loaded, sabres, and overcoats were strewn along the road. Ichabod Crane on his redoubtable steed Gunpowder, or Tam O'Shanter on his old gray mare when the witches got after him, never came so near flying as did these valorous Kentucky Yankees. Here they went, helter-skelter, our men after them, and here and there passing in the road men whom the unerring aim of our gallant boys had caused to bite the dust. The race through Our loss was three killed, three mortally and Sacramento was beautiful. As we went through about fifteen slightly wounded. The loss of the that village in hot pursuit, the men of the village enemy, as far as I could ascertain, was twenty-threw up their hats and shouted, "Go it, boysone killed and over one hundred wounded. catch 'em and give 'em hell." The women, God Forty of the wounded were left on the field bless them, waved their handkerchiefs, and and in the church. Eight of these have since shouted our gallant boys on to the charge. died, and I was told by Dr. Brown, who was Lieut.-Col. Love, who had gone out as a guide called to attend the wounded, that there would to the expedition, it is said had to run through but very few of the forty recover, their wounds Sacramento, and bets of two to one were freely being nearly all mortal. Among the wounded offered that he would be the first to Calhoun. was Major Breckinridge and Adjutant Hender- What became of the gallant Major Murray, who son. An hour after the battle Adjutant Hen- commanded the expedition, we couldn't tell, but derson came in with a flag of truce, and asked it is supposed that he was outdistanced in the the privilege of burying their dead and attend-race, and must have made fine time. The galing to their wounded. This was granted by lant and dashing Starnes was in front of the Gen. Prentiss. charge, and Capt. Bacon fell from his welldirected pistol shot. Bacon shot at Starnes several times and made a pass at him with his sabre, leaving a mark on Starnes' hat; but, level


ing a pistol at him, Starnes soon brought him | morning, when she espied the Federal steamer to the ground. Bacon died like a man, and, to Express making out from Newport News, with his credit be it spoken, used every effort to rally a transport schooner in tow. She got round his flying men. He is the only man of the the point of Newport News with her charge, enemy who behaved with any gallantry in the when our gallant commodore put chase after fight. On our return, having chased the Ken- them, and run them toward Old Point. tucky Hessians within four miles of their camp, The Sea Bird opened fire on the Express, and Bacon was lying on the road side, not yet dead, after one or two discharges the latter cut aloose but it was evident that he must soon breathe from her tow and left her. The position of the his last. He asked for some water, which was schooner where the Express left her was well given, and he was kindly removed to a neigh- over in the enemy's lines, but even that considboring house, when he exclaimed, “Well, could eration did not deter the victor from securing I have expected such kindness under the cir- his prize. He dashed into her and tackled on, cumstances?" He was a gallant man, and de- and in making his way back eight gunboats and served a better fate than to have fallen in the an armed transport put out for him from Old vain attempt to rally such a crowd of cowards. Point and Newport News, with the purpose of In the charge, Col. Starnes was several times in cutting him off. But it appears they were just the very midst of the retreating enemy, heed-five or six minutes too late, and in chasing her less of danger and insensible to fear. Col. For- she kept up a continual fire upon them, turning rest fought with reckless intrepidity and daring, around every time to give them the best she laying several of the enemy low with his own had, the forward rifled 32-pounder. The sport arm. He and Starnes in the very front of the became so intensely interesting to the Yankees charge, dealt their blows right and left with that they waded in a little beyond their depth, telling effect. The enemy lost some twenty and woke up the boys on Sewall's Point, who killed, and about the same number wounded opened fire on them. They finding further purand taken prisoners-among the latter Capt. suit of the commodore vain, turned their attenDavis, of Louisville, Kentucky, formerly of tion on the batteries that were peppering them Robertson County, Tennessee. We lost only so unmercifully. And now the matter began to two killed-Capt. Merriweather, while gallantly wear somewhat the appearance of earnestness, leading the charge at the head of his company, as though the boys were going to work, even and W. H. Terry, a private in Capt. McLemore's allowing it was Sunday morning, and going on company from Williamson County, who fell by to church time. The batteries continued to fire a sabre thrust while fighting gallantly. We had at the Federal vessels, which did their best three wounded. Altogether, it was a brilliant toward silencing them; but the job was someaffair. Our men behaved with great gallantry. what too extensive for them, and withal so The enemy's force consisted of about three hun- warm, that they speedily determined to give dred picked men who had volunteered on the Sewall's Point a very wide berth. They got expedition to capture Starnes. To cover their well out of range of our shot as soon as they shameful and disgraceful and cowardly retreat, could, but not until three of them had got a I have no doubt they reported when they got dose which took the starch out of them. back to camp that they were pursued by at least a thousand men. I have no doubt they thought so, for they were certainly too much alarmed to compute numbers calmly, and evidently thought the very devil was after them, from the way they ran.

The gunboats fairly rained the shot and shell at the Sewall's Point battery while they did have the courage to continue the engagement, which, altogether, including the chase after the Sea Bird, lasted two and a half or three hours. Several hundred shot and shell were fired at our battery, and not a single person received even a scratch.

—Raleigh (N. C.) Spirit of the Age, Jan. 15.

Doo. 242.
DECEMBER 29, 1861.


We have the satisfaction of spreading before our readers to-day some of the particulars of a spirited and dashing achievement on the part of Commodore Lynch, of the Confederate Navy, on board of his flagship, the Sea Bird, which gallant little steamer mounts a 32-pounder forward, and a 12-pounder aft.

Commodore Lynch went down to Sewall's Point on Saturday night, and took a position under the guns of our battery at that place, where she remained all night until Sunday

An old rooster, however, which happened to get in the way was made into a roaster for his pains, as we are informed by a communication from a friend who was on the ground. We annex his communication:

SEWALL'S POINT, Sunday, December 29, 1861. MR. EDITOR: Eight gunboats and au armed transport attacked a little Confederate gunboat this morning, and engaged this battery about two hours. We answered with some of the guns from our battery. Nobody hurt but one fine rooster, which was killed. The men were very cool. The rooster was duly prepared, roasted, and eaten by some of the boys. A rare treat for Christmas times.

What glorification for Yankeedom-one rooster killed; none wounded or missing. This brilliant affair will be heralded in capitals


We sucin the New York Herald and other truthful | fortress exploded quite near us, and four or five S. passed immediately over the deck. prints. ceeded in fighting our way through, with the prize in tow, without the slightest injury to either, and gratefully attribute our escape to something more than chance or human agency. We know that a large steamer was struck once and a smaller one twice, by our shot; the former was reported to be seriously injured. The prize is a large schooner, her hold coated with zinc, and filled with water for Fortress Monroe. -Richmond Dispatch, Jan. 3. NEW YORK "HERALD" ACCOUNT. FORTRESS MONROE, December 29, 1861. The usual monotony of camp life at this point was broken to-day by a discharge of considerable gunpowder on the part of the navy rendezExpress, from Newport News, which place she yousing at Hampton Roads. The steamboat left at seven A. M., had in tow the schooner Sherwood, belonging to the quartermaster's department, for the purpose of hauling water, and when about half way between the fort and her starting place the captain saw a steamboat shoot out from Sewall's Point. Having a flag hoisted craft bore a flag of truce, and the Express, from the stern, it was thought that the hostile instead of lying-to, proceeded somewhat out of her course toward the shore of Sewall's Point. Before the passengers were aware of the danger threatening them, a shot came whizzing in uncomfortable proximity to the smoke-stack, while another went over the hurricane deck. The captain of the Express understanding the state of affairs, at once gave orders to cut loose from the schooner, and the engineer put on an extra pressure of steam, and paddled as fast as possible to this place. The Express at once proceeded to the flagship Minnesota, to inform Commodore Goldsborough of the facts, when the flag-officer immediately signalized several gunboats to get under way.

The schooner, in the mean time, having been left to its fate, was taken in tow by the Northampton, (the name of the rebel gunboat,) and made off with toward Craney Island. The crew of the schooner, on finding themselves in such close proximity to gunpowder, lowered the lifeboat, and in that rowed back to Newport News for dear life. The United States gunboats Morse, Delaware, Louisiana, Captain Murray; Lockwood, Captain E. W. Graves; Whitehall, Captain Balsier; Narraganset, and Young America, Captain Hamilton, were sent in pursuit of the rebel marauder.

The Sea Bird proceeded on her way up to the city with her prize in tow, and we learn it is the schooner Sherwood, which formerly belonged to George Booker, Esq., on Back River, and was stolen from him sometime since by the Federals, and has been since used as a water transport between Newport News and Old Point. She was then carrying a supply of water It was thus a to the Hessians at Old Point. water haul; but that detracts nothing from the honor of the achievement, which may justly be classed as one of the most brilliant that has taken place in the two armies since the war began.

During the engagement between the gunboats and the Sewall's Point battery, the Sawyer gun at the Rip Raps opened fire and threw shell at the battery on Sewall's Point.

We learn that the gunboats threw several shell or shot at the battery on Craney Island, and received a prompt reply from that direction. We are pleased to record the fact, that the boys at our batteries took deliberate aim with each gun they fired, and handled their irons with a masterly skill, taking their time in each


It has been reported, though with what truth we are unable to say, that the Sea Bird struck the Express and set her on fire, and that she was afterward put out without injury.

-Norfolk Day Book, Dec. 30.

The following is an extract from the report of Capt. Lynch to the Navy Department:

The water being too low in the Chesapeake and Albemarle Canal for this vessel (the Sea Bird) to proceed to Roanoke Island, we last evening steamed down and anchored in the bight of Craney Island. This morning, a little before daylight, we weighed anchor and stood across About half past seven A. to Newport News. M. an enemy's steamer passed out of James River, with a schooner in tow, and steered for Fortress Monroe. We immediately gave chase, when she cut the schooner adrift, and carried a heavy head of steam, in order to get under the cover of numerous men-of-war lying off the fortress. We were fast closing in with her, however, when the explosion of our second shell set her on fire. Believing her destruction was certain, knowing that her crew could be rescued by boats from the vessels not far distant from her, and it being useless for this vessel to approach her, we steered for and took the abandoned schooner in tow. In the mean time one large steamer from Newport News, and ten others from Hampton Roads and the fortress, were making their way toward us, when an exciting scene took place; we endeavoring to carry the prize into port, and they making every effort to intercept, and, by constant firing, disable us. Many shells from the ships and the

The rebel gunboat Wm. Selden now came to assist the Northampton, and both of them made a stand for a few minutes. The schooner, however, was still kept in tow, and in that position our boats opened fire on the rebels. The shots were returned, but the daring rebel crafts darted off and were soon after under the guns of the batteries at Sewall's Point. Our gunboats then opened fire on the last-named batteries, having taken position to within about three

« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »